Wednesday, September 07, 2005

It's been so long, I think I got jitters.

I love college--school in general, really--because each new year brings with it a chance to reinvent the stale. I'm in love with the purging of battered old supplies and restocking the shelves with bright, crisp folders, virgin notebooks, and backpacks still fragrant with the smell of success.

Each new school year brings new classes, new students, new professors, new challenges. I find myself saying time and time again how this year will be different from its predecessors, but that never really is the case. Though I defer to my general stupidity most of the time, I will say that the past 7 years or so have taught me that, in most cases, people don't change that much. Sure, some will see that as a pessimistic view, but I say it's realism. Now I won't get tangled up in unattainable dreams and goals, you know? Maybe a few things will change, but underneath it all I'll still be myself, the same Laura. For me, that's pretty comforting.

I haven't written in awhile because blogging is an effort, as you know. This summer I actually stepped back from writing and instead plunged myself into reading. If I include books from class, I'd say I read about 45 books/novels this summer (the last five of which were Stephen King novels from the Dark Tower series that my on-again-off-again friend Joe adores). It wasn't too bad an effort, and I'll pretty much read anything I get my hands on, especially when I'm in the zone as much as I was this summer. Almost anything was possible then, probably because I was so bored I was willing to try anything.

I've settled into a comfortable tiredness, really.. sleeping a bit more than usual, but I suppose college tends to have that effect. Perhaps it's the food. But to keep you updated:

This year I'm a Resident Advisor at Betsy Barbour hall, an all-female dorm that houses about 300 girls (if that many). It should be an interesting year, and already I've had girls coming to me for advice and expressing their general concerns which have been really cute. So far, I enjoy the job. Then again, I've always loved giving out pellets of advice like a pez dispenser.

I'm a senior this year, and part of me is scared shitless..I've learned that I'm not really sure I want to be a lawyer. That being said, though, I'm not sure what the hell I want to do with my life, so I'm pretty much going that way until something better/more interesting presents itself. I think I might like to work with college students or something. Teaching is actually kind of fun (please don't tell my mother I said that).

Josh and I are in a semblance of a relationship again. For those of you who have followed this blog since its conception and are now emitting a groan of consternation, I'm sorry. But you know how hard it is to cut people out of your life. Besides, at this point, I'm not really sure that I want to. Josh has his faults (and so do I, of course), but he's Josh. He is there for me, and he loves me, and I love him, heaven help me. Like I said before, people really don't change all that much.

So, that's it for the update for the time being. I do have, like 12 credits this semester so maybe I'll be updating much more frequently than before due to extra free time. We'll see though. Feel free to comment, loves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home